<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Thursday, September 04, 2008


When I first saw this cover of Us magazine, I thought it was a parody, but it’s the real deal. Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner also publishes Us, which, if I ever knew, I had forgotten. I’ve often poked fun at RS, but it publishes good investigative journalism from a liberal, humanist perspective, so it’s no surprise that Wenner has decided to let his political instincts coincide with his gossip-mag-mogul instincts with this cover. Good for him. If such treatment is good enough for the sister of a pop star, it’s good enough for a Vice Presidential candidate.

I’ve been enjoying the Palin train wreck. Good luck to us all, when the Vice Presidential candidate of a major party believes in teaching Creationism in the schools and doesn’t believe that global warming has human causes. As others have pointed out, in a sane polity, those positions would be automatically disqualifying.

For months, I have been reading of how Republicans don’t trust John McCain. Now I understand why. He’s rash, he’s a gambler. After the masterly stage-crafty Democratic convention, with powerful, persuasive speeches galore, McCain panicked and picked somebody about which he knew very little.

Meanwhile, Dem Veep candidate Joe Biden has said that an Obama administration would not shy away from pursuing criminal charges against the Bush administration if evidence showed the need. Sounds good, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

An Obama presidency will eliminate neither the horrors of the Bush years nor the Democratic Party’s culpability in them, but it will be a huge step in the right direction. And, it really has been moving to see an African American man nominated for President by a major party, as it would have been to see a woman (though I would prefer someone who wasn’t a legacy candidate, as Hillary, sharp and energetic as she is and appealing as she can be, clearly was).

Go Obama.




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?