<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's BĂȘte Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Tuesday, June 17, 2008



My old friend John de Roo (not pictured) has posted a new batch of old recordings at his MySpace page, including the classic "What if the Carter Family had been pagans?" song, "Coven in the Holler," written by his friend Reba, and recorded by the two of them. He's also posted two songs from his classic 1986 hitherto-cassette-only recording, Holy Cow!, recently transferred to CD and for sale via download at his page. Do check them out -- it's one of my favorite albums of the '80s -- tuneful, playful, poignant, beautifully sung and arranged and played.

* * *

Some time in the mid to late '90s my brother was visiting and we went camping. It was around the time of the Brady Bunch movie, which I remember only a tiny bit of, though I remember enjoying it. I had long hair at the time, which I enjoyed. We were camping, and I was brushing my hair one morning, and my brother, the middle child (I'm the oldest, like Marcia), said, "Marcia Marcia Marcia," quoting Jan Brady, the middle child in that family. I wrote a song, which I thought of tonight because my hair is long again. I cut it short in '99 before traveling to Egypt and hadn't grown it back until this year. Now it's prettier than ever, wavier than before, if you don't mind graying, which I don't, usually. I thought, alas, I've forgotten that song, so many songs left unrecorded are starting to disappear from memory, many not even written down; or, if written down, long since lost. But I just remembered the first verse. I think there were three, but singing it in my head tonight, it really just deserves one verse. It's a rockin' little number with a nice melody and a catchy chorus that goes to the flatted seventh (an F chord in the key of G). Before I forget:

verse:
I brush my long hair
I take care of my long hair
I love my long hair

chorus:
Marcia Marcia Marcia
Marcia Marcia Marcia

A meaningless song if you don't know the reference.



Comments:
you should check out 1980s Boston
pop-punk band's song, FAKE JAN,
about Brady Bunch reunion shows

It's' hilarious, it rocks,
and it's under two minutes

it's from their LP (!)
Pining At The Gates Of Stardust
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?