<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Saturday, June 14, 2008

A friend of the kid’s is over playing with him, so I’m hanging out within earshot in case they need an arbitrator. With the exception of one hot week a month or so ago, it’s been the coldest spring since I moved here in ‘91, and the coldest June for several decades. At practice the other night, I pulled out two old songs and one recent one to teach to Jen and Bob; two for Jen to sing and one for Bob. It wasn’t until the end of practice that I noticed a common theme:

“Long Summer Day”
“The Heat”
“In Summer”

I decided to cut two of the verses for “In Summer,” but it really would be better with six -- it’s an adaptation of a Danish folk song, using the traditional melody and writing new words, as I don’t know Danish or have access to a translation. The original has six verses, and four would feel too few. So I just wrote two more. I’m not sure if they’re any good. Writing bad verses is almost as enjoyable as writing good ones, until you’re done. And then you realize, nah -- not so good -- not satisfying. I probably won’t realize one way or another until tomorrow. Maybe I’ll keep trying -- write a few more and then pick the best.

I love writing for other singers. They always change the melody! Not substantially, and often for the better.

Looking forward to performing tomorrow.

Here’s the details again:

Where:
High Dive
513 N 36th
Seattle, WA 98103
206.632.0212
(in Fremont)

When:
Sunday, June 15, 8:00 PM
(3 bands; show starts at 7:00; we're playing second)

How much:
$5


Hope to see you!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?