<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Saturday, April 26, 2008



My cousin L- is a social genius. When she got married in her 30s, she had been in so many of her friends’ weddings that there were far too many with whom she could reciprocate to be able to include them all, so her bridesmaids consisted solely of close unmarried friends. 300 people at the wedding. It was a blast.


After my dad’s funeral, and the wake, and the burial, L- did my family the tremendous kindness of going to my mom’s house, which is on the lake where my mom’s family has passed our summers for 90 years. After the onslaught of the events of the day, to get home and see her kids -- then aged 4 and 6 -- splashing and playing in the water -- it was an unexpected burst of joy on that dismal day. It’s absolutely what my dad would have wanted. The continuity of life on a beautiful, horrible, beautiful summer day.




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?