<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Monday, February 25, 2008


The back of this Charlie Patton compilation sports this blurb from Rolling Stone magazine:

"After 70-odd years, Patton’s sheer focus and magnetic, almost palpable presence will still jump out of your speakers and grab you by the throat."


Who invented this violent-impressionistic style of music writing?

I want my presence to jump out of this computer screen, take off its white glove, and slap them across the face with it.

I want my presence to
jump out of this computer screen, sneak into their bedroom and short-sheet their bed.

I want my presence to
jump out of this computer screen and tie their shoelaces together when they’ve fallen asleep in front of the TV.

I want my presence to
jump out of this computer screen, saunter into their kitchen, open their fridge, and crack open a beer.

I want my presence to
jump out of this computer screen and plant a big wet smackeroo right on their lips!

I want my presence to
jump out of this computer screen and pace rapidly back and forth in their dining room, lecturing them fervently about the dangers of hyperbolically violent impressionistic criticism.

I want my presence to jump out of this computer screen, shake their hand vigorously and say, "Glad to know you!"

Patton’s plays beautiful guitar with tremendous groove and variety of color, and he sings with earthy power. He’s no monochromatic bluesman. “Shake It and Break It” is a fast-paced bawdy comical jazzy number that would not have been out of place in Bob Wills’s Western Swing repertory. One of his gospel numbers, “Lord I’m Discouraged,” shares a melody with the famous Carter Family hymn, “Will the Circle Be Unbroken?”

Definitely worth checking out if you like blues + gospel roots. But if his presence assualts you, you’re going to have to call Ghost Busters.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?