<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's BĂȘte Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Friday, March 09, 2007


Holland - Dozier - Holland


Their catalogue is amazing.

I realized I didn't know what they look like, so I looked them up.

The backstage songwriters are the folk musicians of industrialism, the anonymous artisans making masterworks away from the public eye, similar to Medieval sculptors in their relative anonymity. 12 or 15 years ago, before Tin Pan Alley got nostalgically semi-hip again, I realized I didn't know what Harold Arlen looked like -- I've since found out -- while I did know what Woody Guthrie and Willie Dixon looked like. Rock romanticism lionized the folk. Backstage professionals, until fairly recently, lacked cachet -- though not cash! Standing in the shadows . . .
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?