<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's BĂȘte Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Wednesday, March 21, 2007


gang of four
(i realized i didn't know what they looked like
-- and i've dug them since teenagerdom)


post-punk encounters

1. with bubblegum

got a collection of "Bubblegum" hits from the library and noticed something I hadn't before: The opening to the Cars' first big hit, "Just What I Needed" (which my band covered when I was 15 or 16, I think), is almost identical to the opening to "Yummy Yummy Yummy."

then, today, I read that Talking Heads covered the 1910 Fruitgum Company before they made their first record.

I'd been aware of the influence of garage bands like ? and the Mysterians on, say, the B-52's, but I hadn't been known of the close bubbleum connection.


2. with yuppies

feeling sorry for myself at lunch the other day, I splurged to go to the yuppie tavern near where I work for a (delicious) twelve dollar salmon sandwich. sitting with the clean-cut white people in their 30s and 40s. on the sound system: Entertainment! by the Gang of Four. easy-listening background music for yuppies. we've arrived!

(I've loved that album since Jay & I read a review in high school, and went and bought the record together.)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?