<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's BĂȘte Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Friday, August 04, 2006

My dad died this afternoon. My mom and my sister were with him. My brother spent the night with him last night. His beloved brother and uncle and aunt and widowed sister-in-law and only niece and three good friends all visited him the day he died, as did two of his grandchildren, and his third grandchild saw him three days earlier. As of Wednesday he could still express joy in his life. I'm glad he did not linger long in a gone state. I'm sorry I wasn't with him at the end, and I'm glad I was able to be with him as much as I was.

He would have turned 68 next month. I have very much appreciated people's kind words and thoughts. I'll miss him, but he had a good run and saw his children grown and got to know some grandchildren and was surrounded by family and friends at the end. Right now I'm a little dazed, even though I've expected the news and am relieved he didn't suffer greatly long. The new status quo will take some getting used to. Many tears these last months, especially this last week or so, and no doubt more to come. My only deep regret is that my son won't get to know him as a man. But as my dad said the other day when I told him I'll miss him like crazy, that's the way it goes.

This blog will be closed for at least a week. Take care of yourself, OK?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?