<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Thursday, April 13, 2006

In Francophonic Africa, Anglophonic rock & pop are “World Music”


Malian kora master Toumani Diabate names some of his favorite music in the current issue of “Songlines: The World Music Magazine.”

* Michael Bolton, “he’s got a great voice.”
* “There are a number of Phil Collins records that I like to dance to.
* “I also like to sit and chill to jazz guitarist-singer George Benson.”
* “I’ve always been a huge fan of the German group The Scorpions.”

* * *


20 pounds of baby


She couldn’t meet on short notice, “Because I have 2 and a half year old triplets and a seven year old. We didn’t know we were having triplets. Twins run in both my husband’s and my families; he’s a twin, and there are twins in my family too. My pregnancy was completely normal, we had the normal tests, and we knew were having twins. After the second one came out I said, ‘I don’t think I’m done.’ The doctor said, ‘No, that’s just the afterbirth,’ and then out came number three! We were all surprised!”

“Wow, it’s great that everybody is doing fine!”

“Well, all three of them weighed 6 and a half pounds.”

“Wow, that’s a lot of baby!”

“Yup, that’s 20 pounds of baby!”

* * *


Their Satanic Majesties’ Bowl of Cereal


Talking about the Rice Krispies commercial the Rolling Stones did in 1964, which I linked to last night (by the way, I fixed the link -- sorry if you tried it & it was bad), with my old friend and musical comrade John de Roo.

“Yeah, it would have been great if they had updated it throughout their career,” he said. “In the late ‘60s there would be the Satanic Rice Krispies. In the early ‘70s there would be the heroin Rice Krispies, and a glam Rice Krispies in the mid-’70s. And now, you know, they would do an ad about how Rice Krispies is good for old people too!”
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?