<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's BĂȘte Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Haven't had much to say about music because I've been absorbed in my own. I could talk -- on and on -- about that, but I'm not sure you would find it of interest. Because it mostly amounts to Me! And my Influences! And What I Was Thinking About When I Made This or That!

On second thought, maybe that's not so different from the blog's normal programming.

I have been digging things I've never heard before. If I can just think of them . . .

I heard a kickin' Dizzee Rascal track today, the heartbreaking "Sittin' Here," powerful poignant pain of growing older and feeling the losses of age. Really great. Also dug the new-wave-techno beats & sounds, reminding me of Devo-era New Wave distanciation. I want to hear more.

*

Um, Frank Sinatra's cover of "Hello Dolly," with Count Basie, orchestrations by Quincy Jones, has a really moving Louis Armstrong homage. Armstrong had recently hit Number One with the song, and Sinatra couldn't sound happier for his friend. Frank sings the song straight, then he sings it again with different lyrics.

Hello Satch!
This is Francis, Louie.
It's so nice to have you back where you belong.
You're back on top, Louie.
Never stop, Louie . . .
Sinatra closes with a Satchmo quote, Armstrong's frequent "amen" cadence, "Ohhhhh yeaaaaaaah." Frank rarely if ever sounds so loving; it's an unconditional love. I love it.

*

Deford Bailey was one of the first stars of the Grand Ol' Opry, an African American harmonica virtuoso who could hold sustained treble notes while playing rhythmic chords in the bass of the harmonica simultaneously. Really great player. I found him on a "string band" comp from the library, even though he played solo, with no strings. I'd read about him for years but never heard him; glad to be making the musical acquaintance.

*

My friend Jay Sherman-Godfrey is finishing an EP which will knock people's socks off. A couple of the songs I play over and over again.

*

Neko Case's "Star Witness" has gorgeous melodies and a huge meandering ghostly production, with wandering keyboards (or is that a theremin?) faintly haunting the edges. If you haven't heard her, the woman has pipes.

*

Got a Bread anthology from the library. "Guitar Man" is a beautiful song, the musician as eternally unsatisfied romantic quester, with a lovely melody & Gates's pretty voice. My beloved spouse contends it's egomaniacal; I thought, nah, David Gates is just the singer & the storyteller, he's not a guitar man! Your thoughts?

*

I've been hearing other music too, but mostly scrutinizing my own.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?