<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Mind aswirl with images and heart swimming in emotion, big emotion. Big, but not like an epic Bruuuce song. I saw Springsteen Live! on PBS a while ago, and the arpeggiating piano licks and quasi-symphonic climaxes made me realize -- his stuff is Pomp Rock, a la Styx or Kansas! I wonder why it's never occurred to me before. I've always liked scrawny, myself. Danny Whitten's scratchy rhythm on Neil's "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" album, or Herman's Hermits! I heard "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" the other day, and I just love that plinky faux-ukulele electric rhythm guitar. I mentioned it to my dear friend the wonderful musician John de Roo, who turned me onto Herman's Hermits in the mid-'70s in junior high school (John turned me onto the rest of the British Invasion and Dylan and the Sex Pistols too). He told me that the actual band Herman's Hermits only played on their first 3 hits, "Mrs. Brown," "Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good," and "I'm Henry the 8th I Am," which John pointed out has a great plinky pseudo-surf-style lead guitar lick, and that slick, stylistically bland studio musicians played on the others. Well, all hail Derek “Lek” Leckenby, that's what I have to say about it.

Lots to say about other things too, but not right now. Sweet night, good dreams.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?