<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's BĂȘte Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Thursday, February 03, 2005

A couple weeks ago now, driving to work, thinking of stopping for a donut, when on the local "world of music and ideas" college station I heard some Middle Eastern or maybe South Asian modal jazz piano, drawing me into its rubato filigreed soundworld, and then a groove started, a big slow bass riff, three notes, over and over, as the piano continues its explorations -- wait, that riff is in 7/4, cool -- and tasty percussion, tabla, drums, maybe some more percussion, just beautiful. I drove to work without stopping, foregoing my donut. No regrets.

The DJ came on. The pianist was Michael Wolff, someone I hadn't heard of.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?