<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

WHY THE KIDS WON’T LIKE SMILE AS MUCH AS THE EARLIER STUFF

Jay Sherman-Godfrey writes to me about bathing his one-and-a-half-year-old daughter while his five-year-old son looks on, as they listen to Brian Wilson’s new album Smile:


I listened to it again w/ Lilly in the tub. Good tub music.

Malcolm: "Why are they singing about vegetables?"

J: "I guess they like vegetables."

M: "I don't like vegatables!"

J: "I know."

M: "I would sing about cars."

J: "They have those songs, too!"




SMILE AND SMILE AGAIN

A couple quick second thoughts about Smile. Contrary to what I said, it’s not entirely a goof. Some of the passages have the old “teenage symphony to God” angle -- the opening “Our Prayer,” the eerie instrumental “Fire,” many passages. And -- I’m guessing that Brian wasn’t thinking about radio play, because the record has a wider, free-er real dynamic range than most pop or rock records. The quiets are quieter -- not as quiet as with classical records, but quiet. “Wind Chimes” really stood out for quietness, ‘cuz when the big polyphonic bustle burst in, it was LOUDER. And tremendous.



MORE FROM THE E-MAIL PORTAL

A note from my friend Michael Barrish:


“Here's a quote I stumbled on that might interest you:

When people hear great music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have. -- Edgar Watson Howe

. . . “


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?