<$BlogRSDURL$>

Utopian Turtletop. Monsieur Croche's Bête Noire. Contact: turtletop [at] hotmail [dot] com

Friday, March 12, 2004

BAD ASS

At first I was pulling for Dean, his righteous anger and his campaign creativity. Then I liked Edwards talking about poverty, and his eloquence and optimism. But I ended up pulling for Kerry just because of the macho jerk-off factor. Bush wants to run as a macho jerk-off, and Kerry can out-macho him easy. Americans like macho. And, I have to admit, so do I, sometimes. Kerry was brilliant for saying, "If George Bush wants to make national security the central issue in 2004, I have three simple words for him I know he understands: Bring it on."

The other day Kerry was overheard referring to the Republicans as the most lying, crooked people he’d ever seen. When the Republicans went apeshit and demanded retraction, he said, “I have no intention of apologizing.”

When Kerry doesn't apologize, he signals to the American people that he's not a wimp.  Richard Goldstein has had great stuff on this issue in “The Nation” and the “Village Voice.”  We want a butch president.  That's why Kerry won the nomination, and that's why he's a better candidate for this election than Edwards.

One of the constant subtextual questions of "The West Wing" is, who's more of a bad ass in any given confrontation?  Usually President Sheen is, but not always.  And when dealing in a treacherous world, with enemies within and without, the president should be a bad ass.

A bad ass doesn't apologize for speaking his mind.  Americans respect that, and sensitive Alan-Alda-weaned me is coming around to seeing the value.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?